About Arid Land Research Center
Message from the Director
ALRC is the only research facility in Japan to focus systematically on arid land research, and has to date been selected for the 21st Century Centers of Excellence (COE) and Global COE Program. It was recognized as a Joint Usage / Research Center (Arid Land Sciences) by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology in 2009, and has served in this official capacity since 2010.
ALRC's goals as a Joint Usage / Research Center for arid land sciences are as follows:
- Promotion of joint research by Japanese and overseas researchers
- Joint usage of ALRC research facilities and equipment
- Nurturing of young researchers
- Creation of an international network of researchers and promotion of discourse and interchange among researchers
- Promotion of activities that make a contribution to society
We will continue to work for the sustainable development of the world's arid lands and also conduct basic research aimed at elucidating the mysteries of arid lands. We look forward to receiving your continued support.
Director, Arid Land Research Center, Tottori University